Cultural heritage protection
Fondazione aims to encourage communities to take better care and promote the use of its cultural assets, by adopting a sustainable approach that integrates the social, environmental, cultural and economic dimensions, in line with the best practices emerging on a European level.
Palazzo della Ragione – Padua
The building, with its great hall on the upper floor, is thought to have the largest unsupported roof in Europe. The construction of the Palazzo began in 1172 and ended in 1219; until 1797 it was used both as an assembly hall for the city council and as a court of law (the name “della Ragione” literally means “of reason”). The restoration of the building has been funded by Fondazione with an overall contribution of 5 million euros.
Basilica del Santo - Padua
The Basilica del Santo is one of the foremost landmark buildings in Padua, visited every year by countless tourists and pilgrims. Fondazione has supported various restoration projects by allocating over 2.1 million euros, mostly for the Arca del Santo chapel – which houses the remains of Saint Anthony – for the facade of the Basilica and for the Scoletta del Santo. Restoration work has also been carried out on the frescoes and sculptures inside the Basilica (including some frescoes by Giotto) and numerous conservation and cataloguing projects concerning the archives, historical books and artistic heritage of the Veneranda Arca di Sant’Antonio and of the Pontificia Biblioteca Antoniana.
Praglia Abbey – Teolo (Padua)
The Praglia Abbey is an important monastic center erected between the 11th and 12th centuries as well as being one of the most symbolic abbeys in Europe, both for its imposing size – covering an area of approximately 13,000 square meters – and for the architectural style that harmoniously integrates the late Gothic period with the nascent Renaissance style. The Abbey is toured by around 40,000 visitors each year, of which about 6,000 are from primary schools and secondary schools. Fondazione has supported numerous restoration projects for a total of nearly 3.5 million euros.
Shrine of the Blessed Virgin of Relief known as La Rotonda - Rovigo
Construction of the building got underway at the end of the 16th century at the behest of the town’s authorities, who wanted to build a new shrine in honor of the miraculous Madonna and Child, frescoed on the altar of a small oratory that stood nearby. Fondazione has contributed about 1.5 million euros to finance a great many maintenance and restoration projects of the church and its bell tower.
Villa Badoer - Fratta Polesine (Rovigo)
The villa, designed by Andrea Palladio, is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites and houses the National Archeological Museum of Fratta Polesine, where a series of archeological finds from Frattesina, Europe’s largest necropolis of the Bronze Age, are on exhibit. With over 1.5 million euros, Fondazione has financed many restoration projects geared toward enhancing Villa Badoer.